On the move in southern Sri Lanka
Best travel dates: December – April
Price 2 to 4 people: from 1350 EUR/person / 1.620 USD/person
Price 5 to 9 people: from 1295 EUR/person / 1.550 USD/person
Do you want to go to Sri Lanka, but aren’t interested in lying in the sun for hours, switching between belly and back to get the perfect tan? Are long, soothing oil massages not your thing? Then perhaps this trip, designed for active people who like to explore a country on foot and/or on bicycle, is a more appropriate choice for you. We have combined here beautiful bike tours with impressive hikes.
The classic highlights of the country are of course included as well: Kandy’s Temple of the Tooth, where one of Buddha’s dental pieces is preserved; the Sigiriya’s Lion Rock and its breathtaking vistas, hidden corners and enchanting “Cloud Women” frescoes; and the ancient city of Anuradhapura. The high point of this trip is the ascent to Sri Pada, considered a holy mountain by the countless pilgrims from all the great world religions – Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Christianity – that visit it every year.
There will also be time and chances enough to meet the friendly inhabitants of the country and learn about their culture, traditions and sports (e.g. Elle) in general, and their individual lives, hopes and dreams.
Before, during and after the trip, you will also naturally be able to jump into the refreshing blue waters of the Indian Ocean and/or hotel pools and enjoy an Ayurvedic massage by experienced therapist hands. And since this is a 14-day trip, there is time enough for everything without it ever feeling stressed or rushed.
The singhalese greeting!
Highlights at a glance
- Anuradhapura, the ancient city and former capital of the island
- The rock fortress of Sigiriya, with its famous “Cloud Women” cave paintings
- Impressive bicycle tours on side roads
- Ascent of the holy mountain of Sri Pada (2243 m)
- Leopard Safari in the Yala National Park (but no leopard sightings can be guaranteed! 😉 )
Note: If you are interested in the Ayurvedic massages it would be good to sign up for them before the trip, so that you can plan ahead and enjoy them whenever it fits you better.
Cycling: easy, approx. 15 km
Cycling: easy, approx. 35 km
The climb is tiring but worthwhile, because the height makes for some really astounding views of the surrounding area. After the descent we cycle again through rural villages, past a large lake and along rice fields until we reach a Buddhist cave temple, where we will find sculptures and ceiling paintings over 2,000 years old!
Let the day end with an Ayurvedic massage or a visit to the pool. After visiting the temple there is also time for an optional Ayurvedic massage. BF,-,D
Cycling: easy, approx. 25 km
Hike: medium to advanced, 3-4 h / 6,8 km
Total ascent: 295 m
Total descent: 483 m
Elevation Delta: 420 m (Height of 366 m to 786 m)
Cycling: easy, approx. 7 km
Cycling: medium to advanced / about 15 km
Total ascent: 496 m
Total descent: 584 m
Elevation Delta: 367 m (Height of 621 m to 988 m)
Cycling: medium to advanced, approx. 25 km
After the descent we drive about 3 hours through the region of origin of the famous Ceylon tea, until reaching the next accommodation. BF, -, D
Hike: advanced, many steps, approx. 7 km
Ascent: about 1,140 m
From the full moon in December to the full moon in April the amount of pilgrims on the road is especially high. The ascent between these dates can therefore take much longer than during the rest of the year (10-12 hours instead of 6-7 hours).
Cycling: medium to advanced, approx. 40 km
Today we will enjoy wonderful sea views while we travel along the coast to Mirissa. Perhaps we will meet the typical Sinhalese stilt fishermen on the way (there are only about 500 families in this area).
In the early afternoon we reach our accommodation, located in a beautiful beach. Take a refreshing bath in the sea and/or pamper yourself with an Ayurvedic massage! And after that, maybe a cocktail while looking at the sun setting on the Indian Ocean? BF, -, D
Afterwards we will drive back to Colombo and into the loud, frenetic and a little crazy capital of the island. The rest of the day we look at the city a bit more closely. We will enjoy our last evening here dinning on the beach. BF,-,D
Prices and Dates
You can choose the date that better accommodates you!
Best travel dates: December – April
Summer: 1st May to 31st October
Price 2 to 4 people: from 1350 EUR/person / 1620 USD/person
Price 5 to 9 people: from 1295 EUR/person / 1550 USD/person
Winter: 1st November to 30th April
Price 2 to 4 people: from 1410 EUR/person / 1690 USD/person
Price 5 to 9 people: from 1390 EUR/person / 1660 USD/person
Single Room Supplement: 300 EUR / 360 USD (Winter) or 240 EUR / 285 USD (Summer)
Discount for a 3-Beds Room: 250 EUR / 300 USD (Winter) or 160 EUR / 190 USD (Summer)
Extra charge for a German-speaking tour guide: 250 EUR / 300 USD
Please note that there are extra charges for food on Christmas and New Year’s Eve! During the high season (20th Dec – 10th Jan) there are also extra charges for some rooms. In addition, there is an extra charge for the rooms at Kandy Perahera, in Kandy.
- English-speaking tour guide from day 2 until the end of day 14 (on request and for an extra charge for personalized group trips, also German-speaking guides available)
- Airport transfer by English-speaking driver
- Acclimatized taxi (or minivan/bus, depending on group size)
- Service cart (with bicycle mechanic, first aid kit, drinking water system, spare wheels and luggage)
- Accommodation and catering:
- – 8 x well-maintained hotels or pensions (beach hotels or guest houses on days 2, 13 and 14)
- – 2 x clean, simple rural guest houses (days 3 and 10)
- – 1 x family house/lodge (multi-bed room / sleeping on the floor on a mattress on day 6)
- – 1 x tree hut on camping mats (on day 7) / Pit toilet. No electricity and no shower. Camping mats, blankets, pillows and mosquito net are provided.
- – 1 x in a forest hut (day 12)
- – 13 x breakfast (no breakfast on day 2)
- – 11 x dinner (no dinner in Kandy on days 8 and 9)
- Locally available good Mountain-bikes of the brand Ghost
- 1,5-hour-long boat trip
- 30-minute-long canoe trip
- Safari at Yala National Park
- Insurance (Travel insurance is recommended)
- Visa for Sri Lanka
- Additional costs due to illness, accident, delays and/or changes on the route due to force majeure.
- Additional costs due to flights cancellation and/or delays.
Do you have questions regarding this tour? Then get in touch with us?